How much does artificial grass cost?
What does artificial grass cost? Without a doubt, this is the first thing that comes to mind when considering synthetic turf, and, unfortunately, there is not just one right answer. The national average for a full turn key installation is anywhere between $8 to $14 per square foot. Of course this can be more or less depending on your market and your project. In fact, there are a variety of different factors that can affect the overall price, which is why we encourage you to get a complimentary estimate from an installer.
Typically speaking, artificial grass is priced per square foot. So, the first thing that you are going to need in order to determine the overall price of artificial grass is to determine the square footage of your project. The second thing you need to decide is whether you want a turn key installation or to do it yourself. Haven’t yet determined which is right for you? Here are some of the key factors that will make a great DIY project:
- Size – Most installers have a minimum price. If your project is 400 square feet or less, you will likely be paying an exorbitant amount per square foot, much higher than the national average. It would likely be to your benefit to make this project a DIY.
- Budget – Tackling the artificial turf installation will drastically reduce your overall cost per square foot. You’ll only need to pay for materials and equipment, in addition to carving out the time to do it. About 50% of the price per square foot is labor alone.
If you are pondering installing the turf yourself, please check out some of our resources for a DIY installation. Of course, if you have any questions, we are happy to help walk you through the process.
Do not let the overall cost of the installation overwhelm you. Remember, artificial grass, like any home improvement project, is an investment that will increase your home value and pay for itself over time. Yes, the installation of synthetic turf is higher than natural grass or sod, but the savings are in the maintenance. Artificial grass is a one-time investment into your home that pays for itself in only three to five years.
How Much Money Do I Save With Artificial Grass?
We’ve already answered the important question of, “How much does artificial grass cost?”, so let’s now focus on the flip side, “How much money will artificial grass help me save?”
Making the switch to artificial grass may seem expensive at first glance, but when you take into account the wide range of costs associated with keeping up a healthy natural lawn, you might be pleasantly surprised. Take a look at our financial comparison between artificial turf and natural grass to see how much you can save:
Natural Grass Installation Cost:
- Approx $2.50 / sq. ft.
Annual maintenance Costs:
- Water bill: $125 x 6 months = $750
- Mowing: 23 times per season = $575
- Aeration: once per season = $100
- Fertilizing: four times per season = $200
- Weed kill: four times per season = $200
- Power rake: once per season = $125
- Winterize sprinkler system: $125
- Sprinkler system repairs: $150
- Total annual maintenance cost: $2,225
Artificial Grass Installation Cost:
- Use the calculator on this page to determine the range of your installation.
Annual maintenance Costs:
- Brush fibers and top-off infill (every year to 18 months)
With the initial expenses and annual maintenance, a 2,500 square foot natural lawn will cost a total of $39,475 after 15 years. Installing 2,500 square feet of synthetic grass has no annual maintenance expenses and will pay for itself in three to five years.
If you would like a complimentary estimate, or still have questions, call us or request an estimate.